The season is over, but not the raw video filmed during the season. I dug up some clips from a day at the office, trying our best to see how deep of a heel can Kvark recover from. We chickened out before the boat did. It is hard work, have a look:
Next up: how to winter cover your boat the right way.
A few days ago Artur and I went to the lake to cover the boat for winter. We did so with the help of an old commercial poster, rope, anchor chain, a few twigs of birch and clear packing tape. The results of this can briefly described like this:
Artur standing on Kvark, checking out the situation.
And half an hour later there she was, packed tightly into a thick plastic canvas. The text on the cover says “Nothing will remain hidden, open your eyes to see”. Well, she will stay hidden until spring.
We did some practical problem solving to tighten the ropes. Anchor chain was one of the aids. We tightened ropes by twisting them onto a birch twig.
Well, good! I uploaded the pictures into my Facebook gallery. Half an hour later I started receiving messages about the critical mistake we did: wrapped the boat tightly into plastic. Turns out that this has ruined quite many good boats. Water vapour needs airflow to escape from below the canvas. Otherwise it will seep into microcracks on the hull and start bulging up the plywood. The other problem is that this heavy type of tarp will rub and wear on the paintjob of the boat. Elastic ropes will come loose and so will the tarp. Especially over the winter, since it tends to be a windy season.
Ideally, we want something like this:
Image courtesy: www.shipshapecanvas.com
That is – at best a large free space between the deck and the tarp. We will fix the problem in a week. A good way to hold the tarp down are water canisters.
Will write a season recap soon, with a big sailing gallery!
Today we put Kvark on the hard. The process itself was surprisingly easy – two slings were slid under the boat and hooked on the crane. The vessel was then lifted out. For controlling the boat while in the air, we tied long painters both fore and aft, but just one on the bow would have worked as well. In less than a minute, the boat was hovering over its ground supports. It took us a bit of time to get the supports right. The other skippers rushed to help, mostly exasperating the confusion.
For next time, it would be wise to mark down the correct distance between the supports and distance from transom to aft support.
We inspected the keel for any damage from the groundings (see previous post) – scratched paint at most.
Since the bottom of the boat was not antifouled, it was covered with slick moss which I could wipe off rather easily. I didn’t spot the goo on any of the other vessels that were lifted out. I can only imagine what the bottom would look like after a full season in the sea – some sort of protection is in order. In other respects she looks to be a fine creature, sound and sturdy.